BSc (Hons) Statistics from Delhi University, the three-year undergraduate course with a specialization in statistics, fosters an interdisciplinary approach to statistics, Mathematics, and Computers. It aims to promote holistic education useful in handling social, economics, engineering, physical, and bio-sciences problems.
BSc (Hons) Statistics is one of the finest courses offered by several colleges of University of Delhi. Almost every college follows the same curriculum hence the course in various colleges can be ranked on the basis of the following parameters :
- Faculty: The availability of well-qualified faculty who can bring out the knowledge at best and is able to impart it to the students in an effective manner marks a greater difference in the ranking of the colleges which offer this course.
- Crowd: The quality of the crowd or let say fellow batch mates also play an essential role in the criteria. Colleges with higher cutoffs are often prioritized as they offer a certain degree of competition which helps in improvement.
- Placements: Placements and packages play a greater role. the number of students placed from a certain college and the highest or average package of the students placed marks the worth.
SUBJECTS AND TOPICS COVERED IN BSc (HONS) STATISTICS :
Following are the topics covered in the three-year undergraduate course which is divided into 6 semesters :
Descriptive Statistics (Theory+ Practical)
Calculus (Theory+ Tutorial)
Probability and Probability Distributions (Theory+ Practical)
Algebra (Theory+ Practical)
Sampling Distributions (Theory+ Practical)
Survey Sampling and Indian Official Statistics (Theory+ Practical)
Mathematical Analysis (Theory+ Practical)
Statistical Inference (Theory+ Practical)
Linear Models (Theory+ Practical)
Statistical Quality Control (Theory+ Practical)
Stochastic Processes and Queuing Theory (Theory+ Practical)
Statistical Computing Using C/C++ Programming (Theory+ Practical)
Design of Experiments (Theory+ Practical)
Multivariate Analysis and Nonparametric Methods (Theory+ Practical)
(A) Time Series Analysis (Theory+ Practical) or
(B) Demography and Vital Statistics (Theory+ Practical)
(A) Operations Research (Theory+ Practical) or
(B) Econometrics (Theory+ Practical)
(A) Actuarial Statistics (Theory+ Practical) or
(B) Biostatistics and Survival Analysis (Theory+ Practical)
(A) Financial Statistics (Theory+ Practical) or
(B) Project Work (Sixth Semester)
Skill Enhancement Courses (Credits: 4 each) (2 papers to be selected)
1. Statistical-Data Analysis Using Software Packages
2. Statistical Data Analysis Using R
3. Statistical Techniques for Research Methods
4. Statistical Simulation Techniques
Generic Elective Papers (GE) (Credits: 6 each) (to be offered to other
1. Statistical Methods
2. Introductory Probability
3. Basics of Statistical Inference
4. Applied Statistics
BEST COLLEGES OFFERING BSc (HONS) STATISTICS FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY :
Many premier Universities and institutes of India offer the course of Bachelors in Statistics. Among them all, the University of Delhi is one of the best institutes to pursue the course from. Following is the list of some of the best colleges in Delhi University one should opt to pursue this course:
- Hindu college
- Ramjas college
- Kirorimal college
- Sri Venkateshwar college
- Lady Shriram College for Women
- Hans Raj college
- Ramlal Anand college
- Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Science
- PGDAV college
- Mata Sundri College for Women
To check out the cut-off for 2020, click here.
BSc (HONS) STATISTICS FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY FUN FACTS:
You imagine being surrounded by numbers then you might be wrong. Current students say it has alphabets more than numbers that test your analytical skills too. Sounds fun right!
Also, if you like dealing with graphs and curves, then you got it right. Stats will be fun for you surely! Things like “Hence Proved” might cross your path then numerical comebacks.
Skills of effective communication, critical thinking, social research methods, and social outreach can be expected out of a bachelor’s in Stats graduate.
After successfully completing the course the students will be awarded a degree of
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics. This inter-disciplinary program equips the students with the
knowledge of statistics and it also imparts the knowledge of mathematics and
1. To imbibe a strong foundation of statistics in students.
2. To familiarize students with basic to high-level statistical concepts.
3. To update students with mathematical tools that aid in statistical theory.
4. To teach/strengthen students’ knowledge of spreadsheets, programming languages, and statistical packages.
5. To promote application-oriented pedagogy by exposing students to real-world data.
6. To make students do projects, which prepare them for jobs/markets.
PLACEMENT AND CAREER OPPORTUNITIES:
Apart from being assistant professors post the higher studies, one can also work as a statistician, statistical officer, data analyst, data manager, scholar, researcher, etc. There are plenty of lucrative options available:
Following are some of the verticals which BSc (Hons) Statistics graduates generally choose:
- Masters in Statistics or Mathematics
- One year certification course in Statistics.
- Actuarial Science (actuarial aspirants generally join actuarial society along with your graduation )
- Corporate Job
- Government jobs(Grade A)
- Indian Statistical Services(ISS)
- Defense services
- Civil Services(rarely people go for civil services)
- Government Jobs(Grade B)
- SSC-CGL(Statistical officer)
With fair and sound knowledge of the subject, Stats graduates are in high demand in the present case scenario.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics Employment Areas
- Colleges & Universities
- Banking Sector
- Private Companies
- Transportation Sector
- Retailing Companies
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics Job Types
- Data Surveyor
- Data Analyst
- Data Interpreters
- Assistant Manager
- Research Scholar
- Research Analyst
Advanced Courses in B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics
- M.Sc. (Statistics)
- M.Phil. (Statistics)
- Ph.D. (Statistics)
The University of Delhi offers placement from CPC (Central Placement Cell) as well as through placement cells of various colleges. In addition to this, there are private and autonomous universities and institutes as well that provide placements to graduates of statistics.
Candidates must research well before choosing the college as placement records of a college also play a big role.
ADD ON COURSES:
There are several ADD-ON courses that will complement your degree in Statistics and will help you excel in the field simultaneously. Following are a few of them :
- Data Analysis
- Data Science
- Investment Analysis
FAMOUS ALUMNI AT BSc (HONS) STATISTICS FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY:
Statistics (Hons) is a very excellent yet comparatively new course. As this is a lesser-explored and not much info among the students due to lack of awareness hence it has lesser competition and huge opportunities.
USEFUL ECAs AND SOCIETIES FOR BSc (HONS) STATISTICS FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY:
Following are a few of the useful ECAs and societies which students should inculcate and indulge in the college while pursuing their degree of Bachelors in Statistics (Hons)
- Actuarial society
- Finance and Investment Cell
- Internship cell
- The Round Table
- Placement Cell
The above societies provide immense opportunities to polish and enhance your skills. They also help you in scoring internships adding on to your CV / Resume.
ROADMAP TO EXCEL IN BSc (HONS) STATISTICS FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY:
BSc (Hons) Statistics is a well-suited course for students who enjoyed topics like statistics and probability in school years and like to play around mean, median, mode (and a lot more, these are just toys). A lot of calculative tasks and brainstorming will make your mind very sharp as well. Students pursuing this course are advised to complement their degree with
BSc (Hons) Statistics is one of the finest courses offered by several colleges of University of Delhi.
One should study and opt. for BSc (Hons) Statistics if:
- interested in data management.
- want a career as a statistician.
- want to serve in Indian Statistical Institute.
- wish to be a scholar in the field.