Globalization, mobility, and communications are bringing the world closer day by day and hence increasing the need for global citizens to be competent in other languages. Delhi University offers full-term three year UG, PG, MPhil, Ph.D. as well as part-time DU Language Course in Indian as well as foreign languages. It also has specific departments dedicated to the study of languages.
Part-time certificate courses at DU:
The Department of Germanic and Romance Studies (GRS) offers part-time certificate courses in Portuguese and Romanian at the certificate, diploma, and the advanced diploma level. GRS department includes classes for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian courses, for all three levels. These part-time courses are not open to outsiders. For enrolling in these courses a student must be part of Delhi University.
The Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies (SFUS) offers part-time courses in Russian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, and Polish at the Certificate, Advanced and the Diploma level. For enrolling in these courses it is not necessary to be a student at Delhi University. These courses have a duration of one year.
Eligibility for these courses:
Candidates who have passed the Senior School Certificate Examination (10+2) of the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, or an examination recognized as equivalent thereto with an aggregate of at least 45% marks are eligible to apply. Candidates with Graduation, Post-graduate and above are also eligible to apply.
The minimum qualification required for admission to Diploma Courses is Certificate or an equivalent course in the corresponding language. (Candidates with a gap year or more will be required to pass an admission test and interview to be conducted by the Department.)
ADVANCED DIPLOMA COURSE
The minimum qualification required for admission to Advanced Diploma Courses is Diploma or an equivalent course in the corresponding language. (Candidates with a gap year or more will be required to pass an admission test and interview to be conducted by the Department.)
North Campus College for Foreign Language in Delhi University:
- Hansraj College offers a certificate in French, German, Spanish, Diploma in French and German, Advanced Diploma in French and German.
- Satyawati College offers a certificate in French and German, Diploma in French and German.
- Ramjas College offers certificate French, German, Spanish, and Italian.
- St. Stephen College offers certificate, diploma, and an advanced diploma in french and german.
- Daulat Ram College offers certificate, diploma, and an advanced diploma in French, German, Spanish, and Italian.
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya offers a certificate in French and German.
7. Mata Sundari offers certificates in French, German, and Spanish.
8. Miranda House offers a certificate in French, German and Spanish.
9. SGTB College offers a certificate in German and Spanish
- Shri Guru Gobind College of Commerce offers a certificate in French and German.
South campus college for foreign language in Delhi University:
- College of Vocational Studies offers a certificate in French and German, a diploma in French and Germany.
- Jesus and Mary’s College offers a certificate in French.
- Kamala Nehru college offers certificate, diploma and an advanced diploma in French.
- Shri Venkateshwara college offers a certificate in German.
- Gargi college offers a certificate in German.
6. Acharya Narendra Dev College offers Certificate, Diploma in French, and German& Spanish Advanced Diploma in Spanish.
7. Bharti College offers Certificate, Diploma & Advanced Diploma in French & German.
8. Delhi College of Arts and Commerce offers Certificate in French, German & Spanish, Diploma in German & Spanish.
Bachelors (B.A.) Courses:
The GRS department also offers a three-year undergraduate course in French, German, Italian, Spanish. Delhi University offers under graduation courses in various Indian languages such as B.A in Bengali, Punjabi, Urdu, and Sanskrit.
How to apply: Students can apply to these courses at the start of the application process for undergraduate admissions every year at Delhi University. Admissions are given on the basis of cut off list.
Post Graduate Courses:
Delhi University offers postgraduation courses in collaboration with the GRS department in French, German, Italian, and Spanish. The student can opt for MA courses in Arabic, Japanese, Russian Studies, Punjabi, Urdu, Sanskrit, Pers, and Bengali. More courses are available for MPhil. The Department of East Asian studies also allows students to take admission in language courses such as Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.
The SFUS Department offers Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, and Polish, as an elective course in the MA Russian Studies programme.
How to apply: Admission is given on the basis of score in entrance exam and interview.
The GRS department of Delhi University also offers Ph.D. programmes students can enroll for languages like French, Italian, Spanish, and German. Ph.D. programme is also available in languages like Arabic, Linguistics, Persian, Punjabi, Sanskrit, and Urdu.
How to apply: Candidates wishing to enroll in a doctoral programme need to apply by submitting an application to the head of the respective department.
Learning a language other than the mother tongue is full of advantages. To understand one’s culture one needs to learn the language of that culture. One participates more effectively and responsibly in a multi-cultural world if one knows another language. Moreover, studying a foreign language enhances one’s opportunities in various work areas.
A Social Media geek who enjoys writing about youth and their life. Marketer by profession, Digital marketer by passion.