DU OPEN BOOK EXAMINATIONS: PHILOSOPHY DEPARTMENT SHOWS ITS DISSENT
The professors of Philosophy course have written an application of the Delhi University’s Dean to review the concept of open-book examinations for final year students.
The teachers are completely against this new idea of open-book examination.
The plea signed by the lecturers, 38 in all, has appealed to the dean to accept the method related to that adopted for middle semester students.
It notifies that, the university should contemplate the prospect of giving degrees assessed on their marks attained in IA and/or on the average of CGPA of all the previous 5 semesters.”
The professors further feel that the pupils need to be provided the alternative to appear for a pen-paper exam to enhance their grades if obliged.
What is OBE?
Under the criteria of open book mode of examination, the student will be eligible to refer books, notes of their particular course, and other study materials to answer the questions. Students will sit in their residences and will download question papers for their respective subjects from the portal. They will upload the answer scripts in a time interval of two hours.
Why OBE is unjustified?
The petition brings out the difference between students of the university where a huge number is also from an economically constrained background or have gone back to homes in remote locations of the country.
Even as online classes were in progress, many of the pupils could not partake due to various characteristics like poor connectivity of the internet or there were no computers or laptops or smartphones for them to access the question scripts.
It also asserts the dilemmas faced by visually impaired students because of the lack of books and materials in Braille.
DU Open Book Exam Guidelines
Given below are some procedures for the Open Book Exam:
- For the OBE, the online outlet is not expected entirely as only restricted access to the internet and hardware is needed to download the question paper and for uploading the answer sheet after finishing the exam.
- The final semester/term/ year exam will begin based on the datasheet stated individually by the respective departments for all postgraduate courses in the valid mode as reported and also for those registered with the School of Open Learning and NCWEB.
- No separate data will be conveyed to the students by the exam branch.
- All the pupils need to ensure that their exam forms for the respective courses have already been packed.
- Those who appear for the OBE and would like to increase their scores can do so according to the span of the semester in a year which means that the papers listed for the odd semester can be an effort in January 2021 and then again for the May/June 2021 semester in accordance with the acceptable syllabus and the exam scheme.
- If there is any issue/ question or inconsistency, students should reach their respective departments, faculty, and center through the online mode without any wait.
However, The high court has said it would not obstruct with Delhi University’s judgment to hold open book online exams for last year students but asked the varsity, the UGC and the Centre to figure out a better alternative to also facilitate disabled students to take the examinations.