Table of Contents
- 1 As safety trials on Delhi Metro’s upcoming pink line that connects Majlis Park with Shiv Vihar are over, The Durgabai Deshmukh South Campus Metro Station is almost up and ready to be used. The station that will be preceded by Delhi Cantonment Metro Station (towards Majlis park) is supposed to decrease the current travel time between north and south campus to 40 minutes which currently takes approximately double the time.
- 2 One of the major highlights includes the first ever travelator (moving walkway) on the metro network. It will provide access from the new station to the DhaulaKuan station on the Airport Line. However, it is only 60% ready and will start functioning by June, much after the inauguration of the line.
- 3 Some of the major highlights according to the DMRC officials are as follows.
- 4 “Travelators were available only at the airport, but DMRC has installed one of the longest ones at 920 metres here to ease passage for the users.”
- 5 “The foot over bridge will have 22 travelator units, each of approximately 7m width, to reduce walking time between the two stations to only 10 minutes.”
- 6 “Passengers will cut short travel time by over 40 minutes if they use the interchange section on the Azadpur Line to access the Pink Line or alternatively use the Yellow Line to reach New Delhi and take the Airport Line to DhaulaKuan and get on the travelator”
- 7 “At 23.6m, it is almost seven stories high and posed a challenge to our engineers who had to work atop a functioning Airport Express Line and a busy road intersection”
- 8 With an expected footfall of 12,000 people initially, the station will also act as a public foot overbridge by allowing pedestrians to cross the road without going to the paid areas of the metro station. In its vicinity are Venkateswara college, Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Jesus and Mary college etc.
- 9 The station is also disabled friendly and includes hand railings in the toilets. Also equipped with diaper changing section for people with toddlers, the station houses some beautiful Buddhist murals and mini gardens on the entry gates.