The foundation of the Institute of Home Economics Delhi University was laid in 1961 by a Registered Co-operative which took the land on a 99-year lease to conduct a 2-year diploma course which was later extended. D. S. Malhan was the founder Director of the college and under her leadership, the college expanded further and in 1969, the Institute of Home Economics became a constituent college of University of Delhi.
In 1987, the new college building in Hauz Khas was inaugurated by the then President of India, Lt. Hon. Shri Giani Zail Singh. In 2001, the entire institute shifted to the present-day campus at Hauz Khas Enclave. The building was inaugurated by Prof. Deepak Nayyar, Vice-Chancellor of Delhi University. In the following years, many courses like the four-year degree course in Elementary Education (B.El.Ed), B.Sc.(Hons) Biochemistry and a one-year Post-Graduate Diploma course in Health and Social Gerontology were introduced. With the introduction of such innovative courses, the student strength increased rapidly and a need was felt for expanding the college infrastructure.
A new building was inaugurated on Feb 28, 2015, by Prof. M.C. Sharma, member Law Commission of India. In 2011, the college celebrated 50 years of existence where the students were addressed by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former President of India. Today, the college continues to spread its wings of excellence by training students as well as teachers with positive enthusiasm for meaningful growth.
The institute is built on an area of 3.5 acres i.e. 14,000-meter square. It has well-maintained lawns, laboratories, and lecture rooms. The institute is renowned for its highly qualified faculty. Their research work is published in papers all over the world. They thrive to give the best quality education to its students.
The college offered only 2-year diploma courses at the beginning i.e. Diploma in Dietetics and Public Health Nutrition and secondly Diploma in Health and Social Gerontology. But then it widened to regular courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, along with a Ph.D. course on Home Science. Some short-term courses offered by the institute are Nutrition for Health Sports and Fitness, Early Childhood Care and Education, Management of Individual and Emotional Well-being, Event Management and AUTOCAD & Interior Designing, Radio Jockeying, Computer-Aided Designing.
The current Director of the Institute is Dr. Kumud Khanna and the Chairperson is S.S. Kholi. The name of their Principal is Dr. Geeta Trilok Kumar.
KNOW YOUR COLLEGE- INSTITUTE OF HOME ECONOMICS
- Best courses offered by the Institute of Home Economics Delhi University: B.Sc. and B.El.Ed
- NIRF ranking of the Institute of Home Economics: Not in the list
- Fees Range of Institute of Home Economics: Between 18,000 to 40,000 (in rupees)
- Fun fact about Institute of Home Economics: Not Available
- Placement companies that come to the Institute of Home Economics Delhi University:
The Placement Cell- EMINENCE at Institute of Home Economics Delhi University has been active for the last few years by bridging the gap between students and industry and has been playing an important role in securing placements and providing various employment opportunities in different sectors to interested students. It caters to campus recruitment. Organizations like Jazba, Sheows, Vedica Scholars, Nutriobox, Aiesec, Stubborn Factory, India lost and found, Career Here Ford, Uneako, Hamsab, Resumod, Kollege Konnection, Inglu, Edukey, Green peace were invited to provide opportunities to the skilled students in an internship fair organized on the 7th of February,2020.
- What campus does the college belong to? South Campus
- What is the proper address of the Institute of Home Economics? Metro Station, Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabh Marg, F-4, Hauz Khas Enclave, New Delhi
- Nearest metro station to the Institute of Home Economics: The nearest metro station to the Institue of Home Economics Delhi University is Hauz Khas
- Nearest market to Institute of Home Economics: The nearest market is the Development Area market and Aurobindo market
- Other DU colleges besides the Institute of Home Economics: In the south campus, there is Gargi College, Kamala Nehru College, Lady Shri Ram for Women, College of Vocational studies, Maitreyi College, Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Sri Venkateshwara College, etc.
- Nearest PG available to Institute of Home Economics Delhi University: PGs are available near Hauz Khas village but the most feasible way of accommodation is the college hostel
- Famous alumni of the Institute of Home Economics: Some scholars are Akansha Sharma (ECE ENTC – Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Gagandeep Kaur (Biochemistry), Gini Yada (Home Science), etc.
CUTOFFS OF SCIENCE COURSES IN THE INSTITUTE OF HOME ECONOMICS
1st cutoff list of 2019
|B.Sc (Hons) Food Technology (P, C, M, B/BT)|
PCMB will be given 3% relaxation
|B.Sc Home Science (Hons)|
(P/C/B/BT and any two other subjects from List A)
P, C, B/BT
|B.Sc (purs) Home Science|
(English + any 3 subjects from List A)
|B.Sc (Hons) Biochemistry|
CUTOFFS OF ARTS COURSES IN THE INSTITUTE
|COURSE||CUT OFF OF 2019 (1ST LIST) (%)|
|B.A. (Hons) Journalism|
English + 3 Subjects from List A
CUTOFFS OF COMMERCE COURSES IN THE INSTITUTE
The Institute of Home Economics Delhi University does not offer any commerce-related course.
To check out the cut-off list of 2018, click here.
FAMOUS SOCIETIES OF INSTITUTE OF HOME ECONOMICS
- NSS (National Service Scheme) works for the betterment of humanity. It serves the purpose of igniting the young minds with compassion and kindness. It’s been working with utmost sincerity and is renowned for its contribution. It has engaged actively with Help age India, Manzil, Muskaan foundation, etc. Some of the campaigns include cleanliness programs, blood donation camps, plantation drives, and many more.
- ELEGANZA – The dance society of the Institute of Home Economics is popular in the Delhi Dance Circuit. It won various prizes including second prize in IIT Delhi last year. It also gained positions in IMI, NSIT, HT Youth Nexu, and also National Power Training Institute. Adding to its achievements, it performed to promote NDTV and the giant company Apple I phones.
- NAVRANG: Formed as early as in 2012, the theatre society of IHE is growing at a remarkable rate. It got fame and recognition in its second play in 2013. Then it went on a journey of amazing performances by designing and performing plays like “Gustaakhi Maaf” in 2015, “Surya ki antim kiran se” in 2014. These plays won the titles of a Best female actor, direction, and production.
- MUZAHIRA: It is the debating and literary society of the college. The society aims to build communication skills in the students and make them better performers. It organizes multiple competitions including the creative-writing, poster making, debates, quiz, or other spoken word contests. The annual college magazine ‘Surbhi’ is published by this active society.
- POISE: As the name suggests this is the glamourous Fashion society of the college. Its been operating gracefully for the past 2 decades. The society has been working in close collaboration with the Department of Fabrics and Apparel Studies.
- TARKAAS: In the beginning stage this Music society worked on Raag Charukeshi which is a part of Indian Classical music. It was a daring step as this Raag was not sung often on stage. But this move got a lot of fame and appreciation for society. It is now one of the most eminent Indian Classical Music Society of the Delhi University. Riyaaz with full passion is the secret of their success and growth. It won many awards at the competitions.
- IRIDESCENCE: It’s the society that spreads positivity through art. The Arts Society of IHE allows 25 members to join the creative world. They work to beautify the college before any fest or program. They promote many types of art like rangoli making, face painting, calligraphy, photograph, and many more.
Institute of Home Economics University is known for its highly qualified and versatile faculty which has worked on numerous projects. Moreover, the societies of this college are well known in the DU circuit. The annual college fest FERIA is what everyone looks forward to. It is one of the seven colleges in the Delhi University which offers the course the Journalism. The college is famous for its educational and extra-curricular achievements.
To read details about other Delhi University colleges, visit here.
FOR INSTANT DELHI UNIVERSITY UPDATES FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM
Meeting new challenges is her passion. She is very fond of Physics in everything and constantly tries to make herself aware of the world around her.