The fate of pending Class 10 and 12 board examinations will be decided by the central board of secondary education on June 23. The deadline for students to decide that whether they want to appear or not for the examinations has been extended to June 24. The alternative assessment options for the same will be specified by June 22.
CBSE counsel Rupesh Kumar informed the supreme court at a hearing on a petition by parents to cancel the examination due to COVID-19 pandemic, that the board is “in the process of taking appropriate decision with regard to the subject matter of this petition very shortly.”
The CBSE counsel asked for a “short adjournment awaiting that decision and to apprise the court about the same on the next date.” as per the court’s order. the next date for the hearing has been set as June 23.
Just a day before, Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank had
met with the heads of the CBSE and the National Testing Agency to review the current education scenario.
NTA holds the responsibility to conduct professional entrance examinations including JEE and NEET as well.
STATE GOVERNMENT’S STAND ON THE ISSUE
Mr. Nishank was urged by Delhi Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodiya in a written request that the CBSE examinations be canceled whereas thE Maharashtra government told Bombay high court that they had the powers to cancel ICSE examination from being held in the state.
Rishi Malhotra the supreme court advocate noted that for 250 CBSE schools outside India, the examinations have already been canceled and he asked that why the same procedure of transposing grades from internal assessments and practicals could not be followed for students within the country as well.
PARENTS OPINION AND REACTION ON THE WHOLE ISSUE
It was announced on Monday by the CISCE that the students will be given an option to whether write their pending exams or accept alternative assessment using pre-board examination results internal assessment and performance in the papers already completed.
Advocate Arvind Tiwari, who had filed the petition to cancel the exam, said that the parents had told the court that the pre-boards are often more difficult and they are also graded more harshly than boards. The marking scheme also varies from school to school and some students might have also missed the pre-boards. Hence, they called it an unfair choice.
The council has been given time till June 22 to specify the methodology for alternative assessment by the court so that an informed choice can be made by the parents. He also added, they want that examinations should be canceled for all students and internal assessments should be used for grading and not pre-boards.
CIRCULAR ISSUED BY CISCE
A circular was issued by CISCE on Wednesday evening by CISCE CEO Gerry arathoon noting that such complaints had been received. He said that action would be taken against the schools which are found coercing students.
I find my solace in reading and trying my hand at writing.