For DU Admission 2020, only 920 students managed to clear the formalities of the admission procedure and secure seats in the colleges. DU cutoffs were released on 10th October 2020 and the admission procedure kick-started on 12th October 2020. Academic season 2020-21 has adopted an online mode of admission procedure adapting itself to the Covid 19 situation. Hence, with this new admission procedure, fewer admissions were taken on the first day. However, the procedure will likely gain momentum soon.
Table of Contents
- 1 Data for the first-day admission:
- 2 Reasons for less admission:
- 3 DO YOU NEED TO VISIT THE CAMPUS FOR DU ADMISSION 2020?
- 4 Admission figures of various colleges :
- 5 DU ADMISSION 2020: TOP 10 COLLEGES OF DU | DU UPDATES
- 6 DU ADMISSION AMID CORONAVIURUS PANDEMIC|| SEE PICTURES
Data for the first-day admission:
In the year 2019, about 2,026 people were able to finish the admission formalities on the first day of admission after the release of cutoffs. However, the admission procedure was completely different and students had to physically go to the expecting colleges.
As per the DU data and statistics, 19,086 students applied to the 60 DU colleges on the first day of admission. Hence, for the 70,000 seats available in DU, 19,086 applications were made by 8 p.m. on 12th October. The admission committees of various colleges were performing the verification task and around 1,628 applications were confirmed. However, 920 students completed the procedure by making the fee payment.
Reasons for less admission:
1. Slow internet connectivity is one of the major reasons for lesser admissions. The portal is very slow making the process more time-consuming.
2. The elaborate procedure is also an explanation for fewer admissions. The whole process of verification is very time-consuming and hence makes the overall procedure lengthy.
3. 3 level verification is done by the colleges. Qualifications, eligibility, cutoff requirements, and certificate verification are checked during the procedure. College applicants check for these and then the principal approves the admission. Hence, this makes the process lengthy.
Shobha Bagai, dean of admissions, advised the DU colleges to increase their internet speed. People with the same network opens the same portal. Hence, this slows down the Internet speed. Therefore, additional routers are being arranged to resolve this issue. The connectivity issue occurred at the local level interface and not at the central level as only a few colleges faced this issue.
Admission figures of various colleges :
Lady Shri Ram (LSR) confirmed 300 admissions for its various courses on the first day. Hence, these 300 students paid their fees and secured seats into the college.
Hindu College got 300 applications out of which 100+ made the payment and secured seats. For B.A. honors Political Science, around 131 applications were made. 36 students out of them had 100% as their Best 4 marks. The college rejected 52 applications straight. However, the course has only 49 seats to offer.
Miranda House received 737 applications out of which 87 were for B. A honors Political Science. This course has the highest cut-off of 99 percent.
Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) received 200 applications in B Com (Hons) and 130 in BA (Hons) in Economics on the first day of admissions.