The home ministry took a crucial decision of further easing the Covid-19 restrictions in Unlock 5 on 30th September 2020and reopening theatres. A nationwide lockdown had been imposed on 21st March 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Unlock is taking place in sections to provide relaxation to the people, and also to the slumping economy. Unlock 5 guidelines and procedure was released on Wednesday. It includes the reopening of cinema halls, theatres, and multiplexes with 50 percent of their capacity from 15th October 2020.
Along with cinema halls, swimming pools, schools, entertainment parks, etc are also to open at the will of the states. Hence, the states and the union territories are given authority and flexibility to make decisions for the particular state as deemed fit by them.
Update on the reopening of educational institutes:
The decision of reopening educational institutes will be taken on October 15 by the government. States and union territories will also participate in this procedure and act according to the status of Covid-19 in the state. Consultations are also to be taken from respective educational institutions considering their assessment of the situation of Covid-19.
However, online classes would remain the conventional and preferred mode of study. Student’s attendance would not be made compulsory. Hence, it would lie on the student’s will about the mode of the education preferred to them.
Written consent from the parents is mandatory without which the student won’t be allowed entry in the school. Therefore, the mode of education depends on the parents, and the students themselves as no compulsion would be made by the school.
Unlocking Higher Educational Institutes:
Higher educational institutions can open from 15th October. The primary reason being is that postgraduate students, Ph.D. students, and research scholars of science and technology require laboratories for experimental purposes. Department of higher education in consultation with the Home ministry shall make a decision on the unlock of the centrally owned universities. Hence, the state can decide the unlocking fate of state-owned and private institutions with respect to the COVID assessment.
Update on the reopening of cinema halls in Unlock 5:
Cinema halls are to open in the Unlock 5 phase. All the cinema halls, multiplexes, and theatres would open with a capacity of only 50% of their accommodation. Therefore, social distancing would be strictly followed. Hence, the halls are ready to function in full swing from October 15.
Other guidelines for Unlock 5:
1. There is no modification in the status of air and train transport. Contaminated zones are instructed to demarcate their boundaries considering the MoHFW guidelines.
2. Swimming pools will start to function only for the training purposes of sportsmen.
3. Business to Business (B2B) exhibitions can also be held outside COVID contaminated zones.
4. Unlocking of entertainment parks
5. Social, academic, sports, entertainment, and cultural organizations can be held with an extended limit of 200 people within closed spaces. However, the hall should be occupied by 50% of the capacity. In open spaces, the status might vary. A detailed SOP should be provided to the state government beforehand. Relaxation in the gatherings is provided for election campaigning in Bihar.
6. Children, senior citizens, and pregnant women are advised to stay home.