With the admission season in full swing, UGC has released a detailed list consisting of names of ‘fake’ universities operating in India. The University Grants Commission released a detailed ‘fake’ universities list today i.e. on 23rd July 2019 – Tuesday. The List consists of names of 23 universities that have been operating in the country without have clearance or approval from UGC. In terms of highest number of fake universities operating in a state, Uttar Pradesh has topped the charts with maximum number fake universities, followed by Delhi.
While declaring the fake universities list, UGC has also warned and advised students from taking admission into any courses being offered by these universities. In an official statement, UGC said “The University Grants Commission Act, 1956 under Section 22(1) provides that a degree can be awarded, only by a University established under a Central, State/Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the UGC Act or an institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer the degree.” The commission also clarified that Section 23 of the UGC Act prohibits the word “university” by any institution other than a university established as stated above.
List of Fake / Unrecognized Universities in India
Fake Universities Operating in Uttar Pradesh
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapeeth (Varanasi)
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad (Noida)
- Maharana Partap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya (Pratapgarh)
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya (Prayagraj)
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy (Kanpur)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Open University (Aligarh)
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya (Mathura)
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya (Varanasi)
Fake Universities Operating in Delhi
- Commercial University Ltd
- United Nations University
- Vocational University
- ADR-Centric Juridical University
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University)
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, West Bengal
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research
Fake Universities Operating in Odisha
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad
- North Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
Other Non-recognized Universities Operating in India
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society (Karnataka)
- St John’s University (Kerala)
- Raja Arabic University (Maharashtra)
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education (Puducherry)
The UGC notification on the matter of fake universities also states that in the case of Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad in Lucknow, the matter is sub-judice.
~ Preksha Mishra
A Social Media geek who enjoys writing about youth and their life. Marketer by profession, Digital marketer by passion.