Table of Contents
- 1 To curb the air pollution in Delhi-NCR, the Supreme Court put a ban on the sale of firecrackers in the National Capital Region till 31 October.
- 2 A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice AK Sikri, while restoring the order, said: “We should see at least in one Diwali the impact of a cracker-free festivity.”So this year Delhi will celebrate a silent Diwali.
- 3 The apex court, through its November 1 order last year, had suspended all licences which “permit sale of fireworks, wholesale and retail within the territory of NCR”. Later, on September 12, the apex court had temporarily lifted its earlier order and permitted sale of firecrackers.
- 4 However, the court said that the September 12, 2017 order lifting the ban on the sale and stocking of firecrackers in Delhi NCR will be back into effect from November 1.
- 5 Even Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) has supported the ban on the firecrackers.