The year 2021-22 will witness a change in Sainik Schools. The seats for Other Backward Classes (OBC) will be reserved in the Sainik Schools. This announcement came on Friday by the Defense Secretary Ajay Kumar. 30th October marks the announcement date.
The Defense Secretary said in the update that 27 percent of seats will be set aside for the Other Backward Classes OBC category. This change will be effective from the academic session 2021-22 in all Sainik Schools across the country.
The principals of Sainik Schools were informed about the change. All the Sainik schools in the country were sent a circular regarding the same. The circular was dated 13th October 2020.
Ajay Kumar tweeted that effective from 2021-22 OBC reservation will be introduced in the Sainik schools. He also posted pictures of the circular sent to the principals.
The Ministry of Defense is in charge of these Sainik Schools. The circular says that thirty-three residential schools operate under the Sainik Schools Society. It also mentions that the Sainik Schools Society works under the supervision of the Ministry of Defense.
The circular said that the total percentage of seats will be divided into two lists. It will be List A and List B. List A consists of 67 percent seats in the Sainik schools. It should be noted that this 67 percent is reserved for students who live in the same union territory where the Sainik school is built. The ones who are not from that location i.e. are from outside the state or Union Territory will get the remaining seats. The remaining 33 percent is fixed for them.
Further, the circular conveys that seats are reserved within each list for Scheduled Casts, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes-Non-Creamy Layer OBC – NCL.
Stating the percentage of reserved seats, 7.5 % is kept for the Scheduled Tribes, 15 percent seats are set aside for Scheduled Castes. As mentioned, each list also has 27 percent seats reserved for the Other Backward Classes-Non-Creamy Layer OBC – NCL.