On Thursday, Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal released a statement stating why conducting the NEET-JEE exams will not be a problem for those students who are concerned about the further spreading of the novel coronavirus. On Wednesday, Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) was released by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for the safety of the students and staff to be followed at all the examination centers.
Ramesh Pokhriyal said that the career and safety of students are important to them. Proper SOPs and guidelines have been prepared by the NTA for the conduction of the NEET-JEE exams.
Previously, the Education Ministry had mentioned that the parents are asking about the date sheet and the exams. Pokhriyal said that these exams have already got postponed twice since May-June. A majority of parents and students are in favor of conducting the NEET-JEE exams. They have shown their acceptance via mail and other sources.
He also mentioned that the arrangement for exam centers by the NTA has been done according to the convenience of the students so that they do not have to travel a lot. There is a total of 99% of students who have got the center of their own choice.
The decision taken by the Supreme Court of India was corroborated by Pokhriyal. He said that after hearing all the arguments, it has also been said by the Supreme Court that an academic year of the students cannot be spoiled.
Indeed, the numbers are in favor of the step taken by the government since 7.50 lakh students have downloaded their JEE admit cards out of the 8.58 lakh students. Out of the 15.97 lakh students appearing for NEET exams, 10 lakh students have downloaded the admit card.
Ramesh Pokhriyal informed, in order to ensure that the government has taken stringent steps for the safety of the students, frequent meetings are being conducted between the states and the NTA for better coordination. He also added that the education secretary is also in touch with the state’s counterpart.
Several influential personalities from activist Greta Thunberg to Bollywood actor Sonu Sood have been tweeting against this step of the government amid several protests by students regarding the decision to conduct NEET-JEE exams.