New Zealand on Friday canceled their entire tour of Pakistan ahead of the start of the first ODI in Rawalpindi due to security concerns, causing a stir in the cricketing world.
Both teams did not leave their hotels on the morning of the game and viewers were also not allowed to enter the stadium. The New Zealand Board acknowledged that they had received news from their government about the security threat in Pakistan and therefore decided not to take the field. They are also planning to depart their players soon but refused to give any information about this.
The NZC said in a released statement said following the increase in the New Zealand Government risk levels for Pakistan, and recommendation from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been instructed the Blackcaps will not proceed with the tour. Now arrangements are being made for the team’s departure.
NZC chief executive David White stated that skipping the entire tour, which included 3 ODIs and 5 T20Is, was his only responsible option as the safety of players is paramount to the board.
However, The PCB, said it was a unilateral decision and reflected unhappiness over the move by the spectators just before the game.
The PCB said in a statement of their own that the New Zealand cricket board notified that they had been warned to some security alert. Therefore, they have agreed to postpone the series.
The hosts proclaimed that they have prepared “foolproof security” arrangements for the visiting boards. After New Zealand, West Indies, Australia, and England are also scheduled to visit Pakistan later in the year. Those sessions now also seem under the warning of being postponed or canceled.