A number of new motor vehicle rules are coming into force from October 1 that will be aimed at ensuring commuter convenience. A set of new rules regarding the driving license and other things have been notified by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
In a statement, the MoRTH said that has recently issued notifications regarding various amendments in Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 that requires the maintenance of vehicular documents and E-challans through portal w.e.f. 1.10.2020, for the better enforcement and monitoring of MV rules.
Better enforcement of traffic rules will be done with the use of IT services and electronic monitoring to win the country. It said that it will lead to removing harassment of drivers and would facilitate the citizens.
These are the new rules:
- If the vehicle license, registration certificate, ad insurance documents, etc. are validated through the government portal, carrying these documents will not be validated.
- The documents can be uploaded on m-Parivahan or Digilocker. These apps are available in the Google Play Store. Registration can be done through the mobile number.
- You can also revoke your driving license digitally.
- The records of disqualification of the driving license will also be stored digitally.
- On the portal, E-Challans will also be issued.
- Mobile phones can only be used by drivers for route navigation while driving.
The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019 brings these changes and these will be effective from October 1, 2020.