Delhi University is an amazing place for exposure, fun and learning. Its an experience of a lifetime. Ranging from best faculties, a canteen to people from across India, it is going to be an exciting journey.
One of the best things about DU is the diversity of people. You see people from different cultural, ideological and financial backgrounds, and cannot help but marvel at the wide diversity of our country. You get to learn and be a part of the council, different recreational activities and societies.
The first year will be full of confusion. But at the same time, this is when your motivation level will also be at its pinnacle. You’ll find yourself auditioning for the theater society of your college (even though you’ve never been on a stage before), the debating society (even though the only argument you’ve ever had has been in a comment section of a Facebook post) and even the dance society (because you think dancing on your cousin’s sangeet has given you enough practice). Fresher’s meet is being conducted at the beginning of the session. This event is organized to look for the best faces commonly titled ‘Mr’&‘ Miss’ Freshers.
Then comes the pressure of finding the perfect friend circle. You don’t wanna seem like a loner so you stick around with the first person you interact with on the first day of college.
- There is a common thing in DU that everyone is like: I AM FROM THIS COLLEGE [Idid that too]. May be you feel like you are from a prestigious college but remember after 3 years you would be known because of YOURSELF not because of college. There are so many societies in every college. Join it and explore yourself. There are lots of things to learn in these societies. Societies like drama, dance, classical dance, fine art, music, debate, environment, NCC, NSS, photography, fashion and many more.
- Then comes the pressure of finding the perfect friend circle. You don’t want to seem like a loner so you stick around with the first person you interact with on the first day of college. Everyone is new there in your class so just be humble and be nice. [after 1 or 2 months you guys will be abusing each other]
- Right from the start of the first year, the university elections come up. Elections are full of fun as you will see a lot of movement inside every college. The seniors asking you to vote for their party, banners, posters, other promotional activities and the flood of messages and posts on social media. You will surely get the vibes of politics &spirit to bring a change!!
- The most alluring thing about Delhi University is the student fests, organized in DU colleges. DU is famous for conducting the coolest college fests ever! These fests are not only known for the celebrities that feature, but also for the amazing crowd that attends these fests. Each college has its own unique name for the fest it hosts. Some of them are Renaissance (Kirori Mal College), Crossroads (SRCC), Tryst (Keshav Mahavidyalaya), Nexus (Sri Venkateshwara College), Mecca (Hindu College) and Confluence (Hansraj College). Another amazing thing about these fests is that you get to learn, how to organize an event? Student’s get to showcase and brush up their talents in every way possible!!
- Well, no one can deny the fact that DU students do not worry about attendance. Although it carries some weightage in final results, most of the students do not worry about the attendance part. The average turnout is much lesser than actual enrollment inside the college. This is because DU offers you much more than just academics.
- There is a RIDGE [reserve forest of Indian Government]. Normally every year fresher went in that ridge in midnight, don’t do that. There is no ghost but you could be robbed/beaten by thieves. You can go there in evening or morning for a walk. It has a very pleasant environment.
- Beopen-minded. Expect the unexpected.
- Don’t sit in your room and do nothing. Even if you just go to the campus cafeteria – you’ll start to see people and recognize faces so you start to feel more comfortable. Whenever you get free time just try to chill in DELHI city. Historically it’s awesome. Delhi is the place to explore. Go, watch a play alone, sing in a cafe, and work in a mall.
~ PREKSHA MISHRA