As per the official notice, DU Reopening was confirmed, starting from August 16. Thus, the notice stated out aloud that physical classes for all the UG and PG students of science steam will restart. However, the varsity released another statement the very next day stating that DU reopening is now deferred. The Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) is yet to give a nod on this matter as all the covid-19 related matters are decided by it.
Table of Contents
Many associations and colleges are opposing DU reopening:
The Delhi University Teachers’ Association (DUTA) has raised concerns over the resumption of physical classes. Hence, they are sceptical about whether the covid-19 guidelines will be properly implemented. Vikas Gupta, the DU registrar also wanted to wait for the DDMA guidelines before reopening. Hence, as the DDMA is yet to decide on this matter, the reopening is deferred now.
Apart from this, many college principals are not keen on restarting physical classes. Hence, they raised concerns about the approaching 3rd wave. Students will also be unable to find accommodations in such a short time. Manoj Khanna, the principal of Ramjas College says that they are wishing to prioritise health over everything.
DDMA’s meeting for DU reopening:
The DDMA held a meeting on Friday, August 7. Hence, it is decided that a committee consulting of educational and health officials will be made. Thus, this committee will evaluate whether the institution is ready to reopen with safety protocols or not. They will also draw up the safety protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Also, this committee will check the vaccination status of staff members.
The DUTA treasurer welcomed the decision and said that the DU reopening should not be rushed. She added that all the 18+ people are still getting vaccinated. Hence, ample time should be given to them to complete their vaccinations.