New Delhi: The students of north-east Delhi might be in a disadvantageous position in DU admissions 2020. Communal violence which broke out in the north-east regions of Delhi this year forced the postponement of the board examinations in the area.
Some professors have said that such students will suffer in DU admissions 2020. They have asked for separate arrangements for such students.
These apprehensions have come to light after the recent announcement of CBSE that the results of the students of this area will be declared based on the performances in the appeared subjects and internal, practical, and project assessments that were done earlier.
A professor said that this decision taken by the CBSE has put all these students in a disadvantageous position because the internals is generally not taken seriously by the students.
The CBSE has announced a four-point assessment scheme. According to this scheme, the marks for the pending board exams will be awarded based on the marks which are scored by the student in his/her best performing subjects.
The Board has decided to consider the performances of students in their internal assessments because of the cancellation of some exams in the north-east Delhi during the CAA protests in the month of February.
CBSE Exam controller, Sanyam Bharadwaj said that the number of students from Delhi who have appeared for only one or two exams is very low. The results of such students will be declared based on their performance in internal, practical, or project assessments.
A former member of the Delhi University’s Academic Council, Pankaj Garg said that the date sheet issued by the CBSE for conducting exams of the students of the northeast Delhi was between July 1 and 15. According to that, all the exams of the science stream were pending.
He also said that the CBSE has canceled the exams but what about the exams of those students who are from North-east Delhi. The exams of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science, and English were still pending. This is proved by the recent date sheet issued by the CBSE for the north-east Delhi students.
He said that a separate window should be kept by the University for those who will take the exams later.
He also said that as per the current scenario, a new session is unlikely to begin before October. The University can keep a window open for such students. Those students whose mark sheets match the fifth cut-off list can be made eligible for taking admissions into the University.
Rajesh Jha who is the Executive Council member said that the cut-offs for the most sought-after colleges are unlikely to be affected. He said that bringing a change in the admission policy at this time will not be the right thing. But a special window for the students of north-east Delhi should be kept as they should not suffer because it was not their fault.
The principal of Hindu college, Anju Srivastav said that cut-offs will be decided by the results which the CBSE announces on July 15.
She said that the cut-offs are kept by us because of the limited number of seats available in our college. The admissions which happen in the first cut-off will decide the second cut-off and the later cut-offs.
Delhi University receives the maximum number of applications from the students of CBSE affiliated schools. A total of 2,58,388 applications were received by the University last year and 2,05,434 out of them were from the CBSE board pass-outs.
As of now, around 1.76 lakh students have already done their registration on the DU admission portal. 68,000 of them have completed the payment of the registration process.