Admission season is here. Having done with the results of board exams, selecting your college, is one of the trickiest task, and you can’t afford to make wrong decisions. Feeling dicey about the choice of the college? Let’s make it easy for you! Below is the list of finest colleges of Delhi University which you can aim this season, considering the course of your choice!
- STEPHEN’S COLLEGE- Founded in 1881, the college is counted amongst the star colleges of the University of Delhi. One of the primo colleges of the university, it is famous for its science and arts courses. College has a walloping list of noteworthy alumni including Dr. Kapil Sibal, Dr. Shashi Tharoor and famed Indian journalist Barkha Dutt. College skites of a colossal campus, which spreads in an area of around 60 acres. Campus life is one of the best you can get in the university, with amazing and welcoming crowd, lucullan lawns and brick red majestic building, showboating its Mughal motifs! The Chapel designed by Walter George is one of the most comely buildings of the campus. Faculty is very highly-qualified, experienced and very old. And, obviously the college is one of the toughest to get into because of its soaring cut-offs and interview procedure during admissions. Courses offered are B.A. Economics (Hons), BSc. Maths (Hons), BSc. Physics (Hons), BSc. Chemistry (Hons) etc. Placement records are quite good as well. All in all, St. Stephen’s College is a Brand in itself!
- SHRI RAM COLLEGE OF COMMERCE- The college, situated in north campus of university is known for its towering cut-offs. It is considered one of the foremost institutes for commerce, and is undoubtedly among top-notch colleges of north campus. College also has a decently working placement cell and is considered best institute with respect to placement records. It organizes its annual fest Crossroads every year which is a hit amongst students belonging to not only DU but students all over Delhi. Infrastructure is well-built and has a spacious campus, with air-conditioned classrooms and genial environment. College is known to impart quality education to students to guide them to evolve into sure-fire finance specialists and entrepreneurs. It has around 40+ currently active societies. Campus is wi-fi enabled with a high-tech library. Overall ambience is peachy with enthusiastic and lively crowd.
- HANSRAJ COLLEGE- One of the premiere institutes of Delhi University, it was established in 1948. Also known as ‘Shahrukh Ka College’, it has a long list of notable alumni like Anurag Kashyap, Ranvijay Singh, Ajay Maken and Anil Aggarwal among others. College’s most favourite and talked of hangout point is lover’s point, situated at college’s heart! Tout ensemble, campus looks quite exquisite with green lush lawns and red-bricked buildings. Major courses offered are B.A. Economics (Hons), BSc. Physics (Hons), BSc. Chemistry (Hons), BSc. Botany (Hons), B.Com. (Hons) etc. College also offers certificate courses in foreign languages like French, German and Spanish. Faculty is quite good and experienced. There are various active societies which organize their individual cultural fest every year. Placements are decent with companies like Reliance and Ola visiting the campus. As quoted by many students and alumnis, college has a unique ‘Old World Charm’!
- HINDU COLLEGE- It is one of the oldest colleges of the Delhi University, established in 1899. It is another crowning college of north campus accepting only cream of students every year. College is quite famous for its science courses. If you get into the college, you just can’t afford to miss the Virgin Tree pooja on V-day! College has a large playground and lawns with well-maintained infrastructure. College’s annual fest Mecca is too awesome to be missed! Major courses offered are BSc. Chemistry (Hons), B.Com. (Hons), B.A. Economics (Hons), B.A. Philosophy (Hons), BSc. Zoology (Hons) Placements are quite good with companies like Deloitte and Ernst and Young visiting the campus. Sports facilities are gradely. Canteen serves good food in affordable costs.
- MIRANDA HOUSE- It is one of the top-grade women colleges of the university, located in north xampus. It was established in 1948. Major courses offered are B.A. Economics (Hons), B.A. Political Science (Hons), B.A. English (Hons), BSc. Chemistry (Hons) etc. Faculty is experienced in their fields and quite complaisant. Campus is vast and green and is built like buildings of past epoch, but is modern at the same time, being wi-fi enabled and air-conditioned. Being a girls’ college, it has its own gossip galiyaras! Crowd is quite amazing and enlivened. College’s annual fest Tempest is one of the most happening fests of the university.
- LADY SHRI RAM COLLEGE- It is another top-notch women’s college of the university. It is located in Lajpat Nagar area of Delhi. Crowd and campus life is corking and lively. Infrastructure is well-maintained. Placement cell works well and companies like Nestle, J Shaw and Mickensy visit the campus. Annual cultural fest Tarang is a three-day long fest which is organized every year. College offers courses in Social Sciences, Humanities and Commerce and also courses like BSc. Mathematics (Hons) and BSc. Statistics (Hons). College is not affiliated with DUSU so there are no DUSU elections and hence no vigour or rather commotion related to elections! Campus is spick-and-span and green with sun-lit corridors. Canteen serves saporous food at low prices!
- KIRORIMAL COLLEGE- It is another high-grade college of the university situated in north campus. College was established in 1954. It is one of the most affordable colleges of the university. College is best known for having superstar Amitabh Bacchan as its alumni. Other alumni include playback singer KK, Indian film director, producer and actor Satish Kaushik and actor Shakti Kapoor. Major courses offered are B.A. Geography (Hons), BSc. Zoology (Hons), B.A. Bengali, B.Com. (Hons) etc. Cultural festival Renaissance is organized every year. Placement cell is active, and students get better opportunities as far as placements are concerned. Campus is capacious and wi-fi enabled.
- RAMJAS COLLEGE- Another outstanding college of Delhi University, located in north campus. The college which recently completed its 100 years invited Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir and wrestling duo of sisters, Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat as guests. The college was founded in 1917 by philanthropist Rai Kedar Nath. The college is often seen as a political adda by freshers and outsiders, but in real, it is much more than that! Infrastructure is well-built. Crowd and societies of the college are quite impressive. Faculty is well-versed and co-operative. Notable alumni include Indian actor Manoj Bajpayee, director Prakash Jha, actor Shekhar Suman and singer Papon among others. Major courses offered are BSc. Physics (Hons), B.Com. (Hons), B.A. Economics (Hons), B.A. Sanskrit (Hons), B.A. Programme etc.
- SRI VENKETESWARA COLLEGE- The college is in south campus, and is located at Benito Juarez Road, Dhaula Kuan. Nearest metro station is AIIMS metro station. It was established in 1961, and its major motive was to impart select education to South Indian students. Campus is colossal with large lawns and airy corridors. Courses offered are B.Com. (Hons), BSc. Life Sciences, BSc. Chemistry (Hons), BSc. Mathematics (Hons), BSc.Biological Sciences (Hons) etc. Faculty is a mix of experienced, knowledgeable and young professors. Canteen serves vegetarian food and is famous for South Indian food. Crowd is quite happening. Nearest hangout spot is Satya Niketan. Nexus, a three-day annual festival is quite famed among students.
- INDRAPRASTHA COLLEGE FOR WOMEN- It is an all-girls’ college located at Civil Lines, bit exterior to the area of north campus. It is the only college of Delhi University offering Bachelor of Mass Media and Mass Communication (BMMMC) degree. The college has several active societies like Abhivyakti- Dramatics society, Alaap- Indian Music society and English Debating Society. College organizes its cultural festival Shruti every year. Major courses offered are in Economics, English, History, Mathematics and other liberal arts, commerce and literature. Notable alumni include Ambika Soni, former Minister of Information and Broadcast, Dipannita Sharma, bollywood actress, Kavita Kaushik, television actress, Sucheta Kriplani, former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and Meira Kumar, former speaker of Lok Sabha among many others. Renowned faculty members include Ra’ana Liaquat Ali Khan, former first lady of Pakistan.
- SHRI GURU TEGH BAHADUR KHALSA COLLEGE- It is yet another situated in north campus of the university. The college was established in 1951. The college offers courses in science, commerce and arts. The college originally purported to provide fine education to young Punjabi refugees of partition in 1947, and to encourage and conserve Punjabi language and culture. It’s been maintained by Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC). Major courses offered are B.A. (Hons), B.Com. (Hons), B.Tech. in Computer Science and certificate courses in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Infrastructure is well-built and good. Campus placements are quite decent. Crowd is nice and welcoming.
- JESUS AND MARY COLLEGE- It is an all-girls’ college located in Chanakyapuri locality of Delhi. It was founded by a Roman Catholic congregation in 1968. Major courses offered are in History, Sociology, Hindi, English, Economics etc. Notable alumni include Priyanka Gandhi, Neha Dhupia, Rakul Preet Singh, Harleen Kaur, Sushmita Mukherjee etc. There several active societies in the campus. The college has one of the best infrastructures in the Delhi University.
- DAULAT RAM COLLEGE- It is a women’s college situated in north campus of the university. The college was established in 1960. The college was founded by Shri Daulat Ram Gupta in 1960. The college was originally started as Pramila College. The college offers courses in Arts, Science and Commerce. The college also offers certificate course in foreign languages. Infrastructure is quite decent with good crowd. Hostel facilities are quite impressive. Faculty is quite lettered and complaisant. College’s annual fest Manjari is organized every year. Campus is commodious and well-built.
- KAMLA NEHRU COLLEGE- The college is situated at August Kranti Marg, New Delhi. With its motto as ‘Without knowledge there is no salvation’, college aims at providing select education to its students. The college was established in 1964. Faculty members are 200+ in number. Placement cell is quite active, with companies like EY, KPMG and Wipro visiting the campus. Undergraduate courses offered are in Economics, English, Geography, Hindi, History, Journalism etc. Altogether, campus life is quite good with amazing people in the college.
- DELHI COLLGE OF ARTS AND COMMERCE- The college is situated in Netaji Nagar. It offers courses in Arts and Commerce stream. The college organizes its annual cultural festival Ambrosia every year. College’s crowd is awesome and noetic, being located in south campus. Faculty is nice with a bunch of well-read professors guiding the students. Infrastructure is nice and many societies participate actively. Extra-curricular activities are decent. Placements are also good. Overall experience of studying in the college exceeds your expectations!
- GARGI COLLEGE- It is another girls’ college of the university situated in south campus. Major courses offered are in arts, humanities, commerce and science. College celebrated its golden jubilee in the year 2016. College was named after an edified lady Gargi, figuring in Brihadaranyaka Upanishada of the Vedic Age. Faculty consists of around 180 members, which are experienced and knowledgeable. Infrastructure is spacious, well-built and wi-fi enabled. Canteen is well-maintained with separate momos and juice counter. Notable alumni include Bollywood actresses Urvashi Rautela, Huma Qureshi and Sanya Malhotra and Alankrita Sahai, Miss Diva Earth 2014. Major courses offered are in microbiology and commerce.
So, these were a few top-grade colleges of the Delhi University which you can target this admission season. Please note that this is in no order of ranking, just a random order! Different colleges offer different courses, all you’ve to keep in mind, is that one should give preference to his/her course more than the college. Right choice of the course and college promises best experience of the campus life in the university. And tag all your friends who’re ready to step into their college lives and will spend their best three years in the campus! All the Best!
– ISHITA SINGH